Located in New York City, the Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO), a non-profit serving more than 260 libraries in NYC and Westchester County, seeks a dynamic and innovative leader to manage a suite of digital services for the membership.
This position offers the opportunity to provide leadership in the region for a diverse membership of libraries, archives, museums, and related information management organizations. METRO’s digital services provide members with funds, training, and resources to initiate and/or to improve their library’s digital services; including, but not limited to digitization, digital preservation, mobile technologies, and more.
The successful candidate will work with national digital information management consultants and leading statewide and regional digitization and emerging technologies initiatives. The candidate will also work with an excellent team of colleagues on the METRO staff and with METRO member libraries, including some of the largest and most progressive digital library initiatives in the nation.
Serves as METRO’s digital services specialist with member libraries, developing and implementing educational programs, grant programs, and consulting services. The position reports to METRO’s Executive Director.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Provides consultation and referral services to METRO members on issues related to digital services and emerging technologies; provides access to news and related resources via monthly digital services email newsletter
- Researches, develops, implements, and promotes digital services programs and projects aimed at serving existing members’ needs and expanding the institutional and individual member community
- Generates and plans professional development workshops, events, and in areas of digital services and emerging technologies; recruits instructors and speakers.
- Manages METRO’s Collaborative Digitization Grants Program, including promotion of the program and administrative oversight of application development and the grant review process
- Manages METRO’s own in-house digital strategy initiatives aimed at improving METRO members’ online experiences via metro.org and social media outlets; works to improve members’ access to on-demand information and resources related to digital services and emerging technologies
- Recruits, contracts with, and oversees the work of outside program consultants to enhance the planning and implementation of METRO’s digital programs and services when appropriate
- Represents METRO in the New York and national digital library community
- Performs any other department or related duties or special projects as directed by METRO’s Executive Director
- ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library or Information Science or related advanced degree in Information Management
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital library standards and best practices, including digital imaging, metadata schemas, content management, digital preservation strategies, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of content management systems, digital repositories, and legal issues impacting digital services for libraries, archives, and museums
- Experience in program and project development, implementation and management
- Strong collaboration, networking, and negotiation skills
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability and desire to work within a team environment and independently
- Ability and willingness to travel, including visits to member libraries (New York City and Westchester County) at least twice a month, and attendance at up to four regional or national meetings a year
- Commitment to ongoing professional growth and development, particularly within the digital services for libraries, archives, and museums environment.
- ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library or Information Science or a Master’s degree in Information Management preferred
Salary range begins at $70,000; 403B with organization contribution; 20 days annual leave; 12 sick leave; 13 + paid holidays; NYS Retirement; excellent health/dental benefits; relocation expenses subject to negotiation
Application review will begin November 30, 2011. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please forward letter of interest, resume and salary requirement with “Digital Services” in the subject line to email@example.com