Reports to: Director of Technology and Knowledge Management
Location: New York, New York
Teacher U is a revolutionary, practical, results-oriented teacher training program developed by the founders of Uncommon Schools, KIPP, and Achievement First. Over the past three years, Teacher U has managed a master’s level program at Hunter College and recently has created a new, independent graduate program, Relay School of Education, which will begin operations in the summer of 2011.
The Cataloging Consultant will complete a temporary, one-time project to perform original and copy cataloging for approximately 700 library items (primarily monographs). This person will also process the materials to be shelf-ready. This project is expected to take 80 hours and will be performed over the course of two weeks. Should the work be completed sooner, the Cataloging Consultant may perform other library projects, time permitting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Catalogue all library materials in our KOHA integrated library system;
· Perform both original and copy cataloging according to national bibliographic standards;
· Ensure that items are shelf ready with proper labeling, barcodes, and book jackets; and
· Complete other library projects, time permitting, and at the discretion of the Knowledge Management Consultant.
This is an outstanding opportunity to play an integral role in urban, public education reform. First and foremost, the Cataloging Consultant must share the team’s sense of urgency about the need to improve student achievement through phenomenal teacher training. Additionally, candidates for the position must have the following:
· MLS or MLS in progress, with preference for applicants with expertise in the field of education;
· Experience performing original and copy cataloging;
· Experience using KOHA or an equivalent integrative library system;
· Experience processing library materials to make them shelf-ready;
· High attention to detail and understanding of major cataloging standards, including MARC, AACR2, and LC Subject Headings;
· Ability to troubleshoot and work both independently and autonomously;
· A demonstrated passion for urban education and closing the achievement gap; and
· A high level of zest, grit, hope, gratitude, enthusiasm, and humor;
This is a one-time, temporary position to be worked over the course of two-weeks as soon as possible. The Consultant will work 80 hours and be paid $1,500 to perform this work.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume to email@example.com with the name of the position for which you are applying in your subject line. If you know of someone who would be an ideal candidate for this position, we encourage you to send his or her name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UKA Teacher U provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.