Purchase College Library invites applications for the position of Art Librarian. We are looking for an energetic and creative person, who can provide excellent customer service, is eager to try new things, and who will be flexible in a changing environment. The successful candidate will plan and deliver innovative reference and instruction services and develop and manage print and electronic collections in Art History, Art & Design, New Media, and Arts Management. The candidate will collaborate with the Visual Resources Associate and the Meserve-Kunhardt Foundation to promote their respective collections. Additionally, the candidate should be familiar with emerging technologies to enhance reference and instruction services and demonstrate a willingness to participate in the integration of new virtual reference tools and assessment initiatives into instruction.
- Serves as the library liaison to the Art History Board of Study, Arts Management Board of Study, the School of Art & Design, New Media Faculty and the Neuberger Museum of Art. May serve as library liaison to other Boards of Study based on subject background.
- Provides specialized reference service as well as general, in-person and online reference service. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
- Teaches library instruction and information literacy classes for undergraduates, graduate students, and other clientele. This includes specialized instruction for Art History, Arts Management, Art & Design courses and general library instruction.
- Responsible for collection development of print and digital resources in all art-related fields.
- Support faculty use of ARTstor and the Embark image management system.
Required: ALA-accredited MLS; excellent customer service skills; strong academic background in art; knowledge of digital image management systems, such as Embark and ARTStor; ability to teach effectively in the classroom and one-on-one; evidence of understanding key issues and trends in public services; commitment to learn and use emerging technologies and to provide responsive and innovative services; flexibility in adapting to change.
Preferred: Experience developing a visual resources collection; experience working in reference or instruction in an academic library; second master’s degree in art-related field; supervisory experience
Faculty rank: Senior Assistant Librarian; 12 month, tenure track appointment. Excellent benefits.
Purchase College, located in Westchester County, 25 miles from New York City, combines both the arts and the liberal arts and sciences in a collaborative and distinctive setting, with its conservatory programs in Theater Arts & Film, Music, Dance, and Art & Design, and its diverse programs in the Humanities, Social and Natural Sciences. The campus is host to two premier cultural institutions, the Performing Arts Center and the Neuberger Museum of Art.
To apply for this position, please visit our Purchase College Job Vacancy website at https://jobs.purchase.edu, complete an on-line application and attach a resume and cover letter. The names and contact information of three references must be included in your on-line application.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer